Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day 16 : Katie

My sister and I each have unique challenges for this journey. She works 12 hour days, three to four days a week. She has to shop, plan, and prepare on Mondays and Thursdays. She has a long drive to work along with her long days. 

I live in a rural community with no access to organic produce and vegetables. We have a local grocer but it doesn't stock any organic meat or eggs, and very, very little organic produce. I can't even think of I have to drive 30 minutes to a Wal-Mart, 70 miles to a Publix, 3 hours to a Whole Foods or EarthFare, 6 hours to my beloved DeKalb Farmer's Market.

I don't think I've mentioned yet that I am also gluten-free. A little over a year ago, I found a blog that I really liked. Along with some articles I had read, this doctor helped me put together that I might have a gluten intolerance. Long story short, I came back very intolerant to gluten. On the test, the average number for a person with a gluten intolerance was 45, my number was 275. So, in addition to giving up coffee and sugar, I'd already given up gluten. 

While I've been doing this challenge, I've also been taking an ecourse from Dr. Haneca. She offers over 50 recipes, all of which are simple and something I would try. She offers encouragement along with information about how to live your healthiest life. I have enjoyed taking this course while completing this challenge.

Calories : 1913 (minus 430) =  1483
Exercise : Picked vegetables for 2 hours
Sugar/Sweeteners : None
Fruit : None
Coffee : None
Alcohol : 4 glasses of wine (eee gads, over a longer period of time, but still.)


No comments:

Post a Comment